Sunday, October 14, 2012

Juice Fast Day 9 - Prepare for Landing

Today was the penultimate day of my juice fast, and the historic day that a man hurled himself off a balloon 120000 feet in the air. A big day for everyone.

After yesterday's trials and tribulations, today was a rather easy day. Some juice, some exercise, some more juice, get some work done, then more juice. Actually, today was almost downright normal. I almost can't think of anything to write about.

What is of note is that Wife and I had the talk about what my lifestyle will be post-fast. After all, in the movie it seems that the juice fast was so life changing to the various hillbillies that attempted it that they made lasting changes to their lifestyles, their eyes having been opened to just how much better life is when you eat less than seven hamburgers a day. Surely I was going to use this experience to start a new, better lifestyle for myself full of veggies and positive thinking!

Um, no. Actually if the lack of explosive reactions from my body tells me anything it's that my lifestyle is actually quite healthy already, at least when it comes to what I'm eating. Yes, it could use some tweaking, but I should have made those smaller changes anyway.

Wife brought up an important point when we were out on our walk today. No, there was no dramatic shifting of my intestines when I started this juice diet, but we've been doing juice for breakfast for several weeks now and there certainly was some shifting then. It's not that my lifestyle is too healthy to reboot, it's just that I'm not going from a fast-food diet to sudden nutrition. My body did get to acclimate to juice before I even began this. I imagine if it had been years since I'd had pure juice, my body might be far more shocked by the sudden influx of not-french fries.

What will likely be put in place is an Alton Brown style diet of veggie focused moderation and balance. We've tried this before with mixed success, but the main idea being that there's some food that we shouldn't be eating very often like rice, pasta, red meat and the like, but eating them once a week in constant sequence is not much better. So rather than going pasta-burger-cake-salad, maybe we should go salad-pasta-salad-fish-salad-cake-salad-exercise-fish-salad-burger-salad-rice-salad. Possibly salad-pasta-salad-fish-salad-burger-salad-exercise-fish-salad-burger-salad-rice-salad, and if we're really feeling crazy, we might go salad-fish-salad-fish-salad-cake-salad-exercise-pasta-salad-burger-salad-rice-salad! Now I'm just going wild!

Tomorrow night I will break my fast, finishing something of a challenge and an experiment that has had some interesting results and non-results. I've certainly learned a great deal, even if the diet didn't have the most apparent impact on my general well-being. This is one of those things that didn't seem to have a downside. I've kept my focus, been juicing regularly, and I've lost nothing but the respect of my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment