Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Juice Fast Day 4 - Testing Grounds

Today I started my day with an epic juicing. My goal: fill 2 large mason jars with fresh juice, then put them in the fridge and drink them throughout the day as a small-scale test to what it will be like tomorrow at work. I needed to make sure that A) I could make a half gallon of juice in a reasonable amount of time, and B) that fresh juice will keep long enough for me to drink without getting rancid.

So what did we learn today?

First of all, I'm still shocked at the insane amount of produce it takes to make juice. I had to empty the hopper twice with a good two pounds of pulp in it just to get one jar full. It makes total sense, and the whole idea is you're consuming the nutrients of a much larger amount of produce than you'd normally eat, but come on! I cleaned out all the produce from Saturday's CostCo run and still only got a jar and a half full.

Secondly, while I don't think the juice went bad per se, I did notice 2 things: an odd smell and discoloration.

The smell was odd both in scent and behavior. First, it was only when I first opened the jar, leading me to believe that the juice is breaking down, but less so in a contained environment like a sealed jar. It just built up a bit while no one was watching. It didn't taste off in any way, so I guess it was just fermenting or something. If it was, that has potential applications post-fast.

The color is a bit more understandable. The main base for most of my juices have been apples, and apples brown. It's just their thing. I had thrown some citrus into the mix, but I don't think there's nearly enough to counter that much exposure, especially when it's coming down the chute. I'll try upping the lemon a bit tomorrow to see if it helps, but since some of the apple was already brownish when I juiced it, I think it's just part of the process.

On Friday, I had announced to my all-female coworkers that I was embarking on this quest. They all thought I was crazy, and one even voiced concern to my chances of survival. I assured them that I didn't have the vaguest idea what I was doing, and it's only when I think I know what I'm doing that things go horribly awry.

No comments:

Post a Comment