Friday, October 12, 2012

Juice Fast Day 7 - One Week

Seven days down. My first week of my week-and-half long trial is down.

Honestly, juice. I'm disappointed.

The drama and sudden awakening of my body, the unlocking of all my physical potential and all the wonderful colorful things that were supposed to explode out of my backside never happened. I got up, drank my juice, went to work and had a normal week save for the fact that I could only eat food that would pass through a straw. My body, my brain, my bowel movements, all relatively normal.

I'd discuss my weight gain or loss, but it seems my bathroom scale didn't make the cut my recent move.

Do I think there will be a dramatic shift in the next three days? Honestly not. I don't think that one day I'll drink just the right amount of kale to reach nirvana, and I given the not insignificant amount of calories I've been ingesting I would be surprised if my body just thought I'd gotten my teeth knocked out or something. After all, the guy in the movie had to juice fast for 60 days, and then his final form was a good six months of diet and exercise later so just drinking juice for a week might not have the effect that was presented by clever editing.

Perhaps I'm being too cynical. Maybe the changes are far more subtle. I mean, I have been doing pretty well at work these past few days, and I've managed to survive with very very little caffeine. To top it off my allergies haven't been bothering me as much, so maybe there's that. I also haven't been exercising, so while the fat, slobbering American in me feels cheated because I did not get instant results, my more rational mind (that I think is Swiss? I don't know the accent is weird) understands that this was one element to a lifestyle change that was meant to break me of my dependency on food for comfort. Chances are it also will have an effect on what I consider a decent portion size.

That's all speculation at this point. I'll keep going until day 10, which is supposedly the reasonable length of time for one person to do a juice fast to get results of some sort.

One surprising thing of note is that my willpower seems to be outlasting my patience. Fascinating.

No comments:

Post a Comment