Monday, October 8, 2012

Juice Fast Day 3 - Onions? Maybe Not.

At the very beginning of Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead, our Aussie hero is stopping by a roadside farmer's stand to buy some produce for his juicing. You don't get to see his full shopping list, but he does buy two items clearly: onions and tomatoes. Concerned that I might be drinking too much fruit and not enough veggies, I decided to try my hand at some savory juices. Tomato is a good base, but onion? Well, onion just seems to blow most everything else out of the water.

My lesson of the day: I think onions make better chemical weapons than juice ingredients.

Still, knowing it wouldn't be healthy to spend all my time indoors doing domestic duties, I decided to take lunch out at one of the handful of true juice bars in Austin. I headed down to Daily Juice, a fine hippie establishment dedicated to making sure you know that everything you eat is toxic unless it comes from their kitchen. Not really, they're really nice people actually but the clientele on the other hand will quickly tell you that everything your doing is both destroying the earth and giving you cancer. Oh, and funding some evil global conglomerate that controls the media or something. I don't know I stopped listening after a bit.

Talking to the nice lady behind the counter, I voiced my concern about a fruit-centric juice fast. After all, most fruits have a good deal of natural sugar in them, and I didn't want to cure my cholesterol only to end up diabetic. She didn't really have an answer for me, but the portly old gentleman eating a salad at the table behind me volunteered his knowledge and assured me I had nothing to worry about. Naturally occurring sugar in produce contains a great deal of nutrients that are removed in refined sugar, and your body can naturally process just about any amount you can throw at it.

He himself wasn't the picture of health, but he was eating a salad at a juice bar so I guess that gives him some sort of credibility. Thanks portly old man!

Tomorrow comes a small-scale test a la Mythbusters: I need to make sure I can make enough juice in the morning to make it through the workday and I need to make sure it can be properly stored, transported, and consumed later. I'll make enough juice for a full day (I'm thinking at least 2-3 full large mason jars) and put them in my fridge. I'll drink them throughout the day, and if they can keep for 6-8 hours in the fridge I know I can survive a day at work.

After all, the goal of this fast is general well-being. Remaining gainfully employed is a major factor in the well-being.

No comments:

Post a Comment