Thursday, October 11, 2012

Juice Fast Day 6 - Tensions Mounting

Six days ago, I said that I was surprised how easy going to an all-juice diet had been. For someone who is as much of a foodie as me, I couldn't imagine giving up what is both a passion and a lifestyle. Not only that, but I would have to still function in an America driven by food-based consumerism. My friends, my coworkers, and even those I had not met would be surrounding me with delicious temptation at every turn. Today I began to see the cracks that can form after resisting temptation too long. Today, the stress of my juice fast began to take its toll.

Not on me mind you. Or, rather directly on me. The stress affected my wife, who then affected it on me.

The grand scheme was that since I had an extended weekend, I would attempt the juice fast first. It would give us an opportunity to have a control element in the experiment. She would carry on as normal, and I would juice and we would compare the differences. But she was frustrated tonight. Dinner was an event for one since mine was decided. She couldn't really include me in our usual culinary adventures because I was benched until next week. Turns out, me juicing was a source of more stress for her than it was for me!

Okay, that's kind of only half true. My wife is a wonderful woman and incredibly supportive, but as we are both foodies this fast has sort of left her alone at the table.

The lesson here isn't to ensure some sort of militant compliance with all people in your immediacy when doing something as lifestyle-shifting as this, but more to realize that the people who support you will sometimes need support themselves. And by "support," I mean letting them drink some wine while you watch a few episodes of "Buffy."

Today was largely successful, despite the somewhat higher cacophony of food-based traffic through my office today. 2 large mason jars, one green and one orange, kept me pretty well sated through the day. I spaced it out, drinking mostly throughout the morning and then a little less frequently into the afternoon. I kept one serving in the jar until the very end of the day, which I drank before wrapping up things at my desk around 6:30.

What was a new development today was the headaches.

I'm relatively certain that this is part of the caffeine withdrawal, since I'm keeping my juice intake very steady. The question is do I soldier through and just be a giant dick to everyone between the hours of 7am and next Tuesday or do I try and somehow portion myself down like a heroin addict. Granted, coffee is certainly a far different beast than heroin (and much tastier, I've heard) but I don't know if feeding it even to wean would somehow undermine my efforts. I've heard of people using caffeinated teas as part of their diet, and you can't argue that a good cup of coffee certainly cleans you out in a hurry, but I'm trying to be strict for my test flight!

Tomorrow morning might call for a cup of tea before work, if the headaches persist. I get the pure body detoxification holistic organic tie-dye thing, but let's be real. A bit of caffeine in my system can't be any worse than whatever they used to make these elephantine carrots I've been juicing.

Seriously, these things are fucking HUGE!/////

No comments:

Post a Comment