Monday, October 15, 2012

Juice Fast Day 10 - Roll Credits

Ten days ago, I set out a challenge for myself. Curiosity mixed with ambition, and my goal of healthy living was lightly beaten over a bed of amateur research, sprinkled with skepticism, and paired with a tall glass of what the hell am I doing. Salt to taste and serve.



Ten days of nothing but juice later, I stood on the balcony of my home with Wife and I ate an apple, breaking my juice fast with a healthy, micro-nutrient rich food just as Joe Cross had done at the end of his journey. I felt like he did, but he went for 60 days and I only went for 10 he was also in a hot air balloon and those are expensive so a second story balcony is high enough thank you. Apart from all the glaring and obvious differences, we were the same for that moment.

Ten days of juice. Ten days of my friends scoffing and my Wife stressing. Ten days of our Jack Lalanne juicer running at full capacity and me going through produce like some kind of savage herbivore. Ten days of me proving that if I put my mind to it, I can do anything. Especially if it's really easy and in no way changes my daily life. Ten days of more leafy greens than I've probably eaten in ten years, and ten days of explaining to my friends that yes I am juicing and no it is not connected to National Coming Out Day.

Ten days later. Tomorrow I start on regular food again, with the idea that it will be produce-heavy and health conscious. Wife asked me about coffee, about alcohol, about red meats. I replied yes please. Honestly I was and plan to still be moderate-at-best with things like caffeine, meat, and booze (hell for a writer I'm practically a teetotaler) but nothing's getting cut. All things in moderation, including both revelry and denial. There are times when I do need clarity of mind and body, and there are other times daddy needs his back medicine.

Ten days and I've proven that not only can it be done, but it can be done with ease and grace. Going from one juice a day to three did not radically shape my body in any strange way, nor did it fix all my health concerns but it did prove I could tolerate radical change if I needed to. I'll write a proper debriefing tomorrow, but suffice to say that I think the benefits of the diet were only partially physical. The mental boon of highlighting my association of food and drink as socializing, or as recreation, or even as just something to pass the time was both enlightening and slightly troubling. My friends have some severe first world problems.

Ten days of drinking juice. I honestly don't have anything else to write but I wanted to keep this motif going because I think it's dramatic.

Ten days later. It's more than nine.

No comments:

Post a Comment