Saturday, October 6, 2012

Juice Fast Day 1 - Famous Last Words

This is easy.

Yes, yes. I know I will eat those words eventually (after my juice fast, of course, I think my own words qualifies as a fat) but for being a solid 24 hours without food I am in surprisingly good spirits. The only real issues of the day was a headache around noon and some crankiness in the mid afternoon, but everything seemed to even out. It's already past 10pm and I feel pretty good for someone on a diet usually reserved for people with broken jaws.



The plan to start over a weekend has already proven to be a good idea. Liz juiced with me in the morning, so no problem there. Lunch was a bit more of a challenge, as she had leftovers and I had more juice. It was a bit odd watching her eat, but it was all cold food so all I could do was see it.

Dinner turned out to be the real test of my mettle. Liz cooked up some broccoli and rice, and it filled the house with the wonderful aroma of food. The Pavlovian response in my body was shockingly fast. If anything was going to break my diet, it would be the smells of cooking food. I decided my best plan of attack was to be in the other room while she cooked, then while she started eating I made more juice. That way when I did join her at the table, I had something to sate my appetite.

Another area of this I'm going to need to work on is timing and quantity, two things I know were not at their peak today.

By my calculation, I think I drank about 3 or 3.5 quarts of juice today. Most of what I've read recommends at least a gallon total to make sure you're still getting enough calories to keep your body from going into famine mode, so I'll need to up the quantity tomorrow. Furthermore, my intake was hardly even all day. I had about 10 oz of juice for breakfast, but then I didn't have much more until past noon, and it was a doozy: 32 oz from Whole Foods. It was a blend of 2 beets, a handful of spinach, and almost a dozen carrots (I counted). I fear I may turn orange in my sleep.

The final batch of the evening was around 7pm, two and a half cups of a savory juice I'd seen online. This one may have been a mistake. It was very tasty, everything V8 really should be, but it had a LOT of tomatoes in it and a whole onion. That amount of acid is going to bite me tonight, I can feel it. I'll certainly make that juice again, but definitely a much smaller quantity. I drank four tomatoes. Who in their right mind has four tomatoes in one sitting?

So day one, successful. I've not only managed to resist eating solid food that is still in my house, but I managed to co-exist with another human being eating food in my presence. I even entered society briefly, a Costco run to get giant bags of produce for the current effort.

Here's hoping this is as hard as it gets!

No comments:

Post a Comment